Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Traditional Chinese Steamed Egg Cake


During my teenage days, my mum used to steam this traditional chinese egg cake (Ji Dan Gao)during Chinese Festival). During then, my mum told me that it required alot of hardwork to make this cake as you have to hand whisk (manually) the eggs & sugar till it turned white and frothy before the cake will rise. As such, you have to manually whisk for about an hour or so (Those days, electric mixer may not have existed or is expensive). My mum also said that she will have to use Ice Cream Soda to make it rise and open up nicely on the top. During then, I did not bothered to learn from her as all I am concerned is to get to eat the cake. It has been more than 2 decades since I last had the one my mum made. Age is catching up with my mum so I can't be expecting my mum to make this anymore.

I miss my mum's cooking after I relocated to Auckland in April 2010. Of all her cooking, I was craving very badly for this cake though I have not ate for 2 decades. I went on to the internet and found this recipe and made it. It turned out just like the way my mum made. Tony who is a Kiwi loves it and thought the cake was baked in the oven and never though that it was a steamed cake.


Ingredients:
4 Eggs
215g Caster Sugar
230g  Cake flour
1 Teaspoon of  Vanilla extract


1. Boil some water in your wok or get your electric steamer ready. Line up a 23 cm baking tin with baking paper and heat the the tin up for 5mins in the wok or electric steamer as preheating up the tin helps to raise the cake more.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer (high) until pale, thick and creamy which will take about 30mins.
3. Sift the flour twice into a mixing bowl.
4. Slowly fold in the flour mixture into the beaten eggs mixtures and ensure that it is mixed well with the eggs mixture till no lumps of flour is seen.
5. Pour the mixture into the preheated tin.
6. Steam immediately at high heat for about 30mins.
7. Do not open the lid of the wok or electric steamer unnecessarily as cold air will escape in and prevent the cake from rising.
8. Use a chopstick and insert into the centre of the cake, if the chopstick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
9. Cool the cake for 30mins before cutting.

1 comment:

Golden Nugget aka San! said...

I wud luv to try this!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...