Thursday, April 26, 2012

Full House Restaurant


Kimchi Pancake

I got to know Sharon, a Singaporean from Expat Blog. She studied in Palmerston and has returned to New Zealand-New Plymouth to look for a job as well as to be with her partner-Luke. She just like me, struggled to land a job and has scheduled for an interview in Auckland and would like to have a meet up since we have been communicating. She has indicated that she would like to have Korean or Japanese Food. The only Korean food that I know was the one near my workplace in Birkenhead, Northshore and since we were meeting in town I went into the Internet to look for Korean Restaurant in town. Found this "Full House Korean Restaurant" in menumania  which has got quite good reviews.  Not only that, I roughly figured out how to get there I am still not good with my direction around town as most of the times Tony was the one driving. I do have a GPS in my car but I don't really trust it; sometimes it tells you to turn right when there is absolutely no way you can turn right...it is just stupid though I have tried to update the software/map as regularly as I could. True enough, this GPS did not bring me to this place and I struggled  the GPS bought me round and round for 3 times. I started to panic it was a Friday and there were many cars in town; oh dear it is going to be dangerous when you are driving in a panic mood I decided to go into any car park that I could possibly find at that current location and to navigate to our meeting place by foot. Finally found one car park at Shortland Street,  using my IPhone map I managed to navigate to our meeting place.  

Full House Restaurant is located at:
39 Elliott Street  
(Basement Level)
Auckland Central
Auckland City
09 368 7883

It is a quaint little place with feel of Korea, though I have not been to Korea but I have watched enough Korean Dramas to have that kind of feel of what is it like...


 
Since it was just 2 of us, we ordered a pork bone soup, a spicy pork, kimchi pancake and 2 bowls of steamed rice. The sides dishes were delicious, but the 2 porksdishes we had were just average. Spicy pork was too dry. Both the pork dishes were too gamy especially the pork bone soup then I nearly puked. Pardon me for saying that, it was really too much for me to take the flavor. Sharon found the spicy pork gamier whereas I said the soup. I know all long that NZ's pork is gamy, Korean dishes normally uses a lot of ingredients for marination for meats..believe that it will cover the gaminess of pork so took the risk of ordering 2 pork dishes. I was wrong..I was sorry that I do not know how to appreciate the gamy taste of pork, next time should try the chicken instead. However, there was a consolation. The kimchi pancake was great, it was really good. The portion was way too big for 2 of us to finish..in fact we were left with half portion of each dish...The total cost of this meal was only $40 which was cheap for the kind of portion served. It is definitely worth going there if you are a fan of Korean Cuisine.  The cost was almost the same as my parking cost which was $38 for slightly over 2hours of parking. Parking is really super expensive in town, it was a total ripped off. I swear that I will never really want to drive to town again, would rather try to take public transportation.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...