Sunday, March 18, 2012

Korean Spicy Chicken (Gochujang Bulgogi)

 

What is Gochujang? Gochujang (고추장) (Hot Pepper Paste) is Korea’s traditional fermented condiment made from red chilli, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt.  It is a spicy Korean hot chilli paste that was used widely in Korean cooking and it is one of the most beloved spices in Korea.

I have no idea what it was until my brother bought home a tub of 500g  Gochujang. Mum and I were puzzled when he bought Gochujang home, what would he do with this since he does not know how to cook and will never cook ???  Mum has been the one  that does all the cooking for him, including instant noodle. Since my brother has been to Korea and is a great fan of Korean’s variety programs, he must have gotten the idea of what is Gochujang and what you can use them for.  He uses it as a dipping sauce for all his deep fried food on his meals. He would also add 1 or 2 spoonfuls of Gochujang into his instant noodles to create a spicy taste. I am a fan of Korean’s  Dramas, while my son has been influenced by my brother is also a great fan of Korean’s  programs, music and fashion.  He loves spicy foods as much as I do, and I remembered those days I would often bring him for Korean Buffet whenever I have the time. At the buffet table, you see see  a wide spread of bulgogi available ranging from spicy to non-spicy Bulgogi. Bulgogi is a Korean barbecued dish, consists of marinated  beef, chicken or pork. To enhance the flavour  and tenderness, the meat is marinated with  a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, pepper and other ingredients.  Gochujang is one of the ingredients used in Bulgogi.

My last Chinese New Year’s visit home, on the 3rd day of Chinese New Year I cooked a Spicy Pork Belly Bulgogi for my families. My son and my nieces loved and enjoyed it, one of my niece even asked me and even asked me to buy a tub of Gochujang and wrote her my recipe for the Spicy Pork Belly Bulgogi before I left for Auckland

Since Tony’s was away for business, I have the chance to cook some spicy food. I missed the Spicy Pork Belly Bugogi which I cooked for my families. Instead cooking Pork, I decided to cook Chicken instead.


This is Gochujang, you can get it at any Asian Groceries Supermarket in Auckland.




Serving : 2
Ingredients:
300g Chicken Breast Boneless, Skinless-Slice thinly 
2 1/2 Tablespoon  Gochujang Red Pepper Paste (more or less depends on your liking)
1Tablespoon Sugar
1Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Clove Garlic, mince
1Tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 Cups Cabbage, slice
1 Onion, cut into chunks
1 1/2 Tablespoon Oil
Seasame Seeds (optional)








1.In a big bowl, put all the above ingredients together (except cabbage, oil and seasame seeds) and mix it well.

 
2.Let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. The longer the better, you may prepare a day advance.
3. Heat up oil a pan over medium heat, stir-fry the marinated chicken mixture until the chicken is almost cooked.
4. Add in the cabbage, stir well. Cook until the cabbage has lost half of the moisture and chicken are cooked through. Do not overcook the cabbage as you want the cabbage to remain crunchy.
 
 5. Dish up and  sprinkle some seasame oil on the top. Serve with cooked rice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...