Monday, March 19, 2012

Fish Kaarage


That afternoon, while heading back from work in the car I was still undecisive or rather clueless about what to have for dinner. Thinking while driving, which was dangerous...Chicken Kaarage came into my mind maybe because the night before I was reading a blog from Just Hungry( The blogger is a Japanese and has alot of Japanese recipes in her blog)...Then I kept asking myelf -Chicken Kaarage-You sure???  Er... somehow my answer was NO NO,  I have been having too much chicken this whole week since Tony was away for business. I will soon become a Chicken too. Hahaha... Enough of chicken and I realsied that I have not been having fish for awhile. However, neither  do I want to have Fish and Chips, nor Grilled fish. How about Fish Karrage for a change?? Sounds like a good idea, has never seen that in a Japanese Restaurant. Why don't I make one at home? Took out my Iphone while driving, went to Just Hungry's blog for Chicken Kaarage's Recipe as I wanted to know what were the ingredients needed. I had all the ingredients at home except Fish fillet. I dropped by our regular Fish & Chips Shop to pack a piece of Fish Fillet to cook Fish Kaarage.

Recipe was adapted from Just Hungry -Chicken Kaarage, just changing the star ingredient from Chicken to Fish.


Serving: 1-2 depending whether you are having it as a side dish or main dish.

Ingredients:
1 Fish Fillet- Boneless (300g)
1 Piece Fresh Ginger (Thumb Size)
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce ( I reduced from 3 Tablespoons to 2)
1 Tablesppon  Sake (you can click at the link above -Just Hungry's website  for substitution)
1/2 Cup  Potato Starch/Cornstarch (enough to coat the Fish)
Oil for deep frying
A few drops sesame oil (optional)- add to the frying oil for extra flavor

1. Cut up the fish fillet  into bite-sized pieces.
2. Peel and grate the piece of ginger. A microplane grater works great for this task.
3. Put the fish fillet pieces in a bowl. Add the grated ginger, soy sauce and sake, and mix well. Let marinate for a minimum of 10 minutes. Around 30 minutes is ideal. If marinating for more than an hour (say, overnight), use 1 tablespoon soy sauce, then add the other 1 tablespoons just before you're ready to cook them; this prevents the salt in the soy sauce from drawing out too much moisture from the fish.
4. Heat the oil (Deep fryer- 180°C) If not, a test with a single piece of fish. 
5. Instead of putting potato starch/cornstarch into the marinated fish so that each piece is completely coated. (Drain off a bit of the marinade if it's too watery first). I put the cornstarch on a bowl, removing pieces of fillet from marinade and coated them individually. 


6. Fry the fish pieces a few at a time until a deep golden brown.

7. Drain well on wire  or  paper towels.
8. Serve with lemon wedges or ketchup. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...