Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tapioca with Coconut Milk and Sugar 蒸木薯

Steamed Tapioca with Coconut Milk and Sugar
My mum and I love Tapioca, she loves to cook desserts like Green Beans soup, Bur Bur Cha Cha, Tao Sau, Black Glutinious Rice, Steamed Tapioca...when she is much younger for me and my 6 siblings,  however that most of us have got married and have their own families so she no longer has that interest of cooking desserts as she is now in her 70's...it's time for her to relax and enjoy life. Now that I  have moved over to Auckland for almost 4 months, I have fond memories of all my mum's cooking. I really really miss her so much that I tried to cook her dishes here in Auckland though it is difficult to replicate her dishes. I blamed myself for not making an effort to pick up the skills from her when I have that chance in Singapore.

Yesterday's afternoon, Tony bought me to Glenden to search for my "Old Town" coffeemix at this Asian Groceries Store. Surprised to find Pandan Leaves and Tapioca at the store, I was elated though both of these were Frozen and not fresh nonetheless I decided to buy it as Tapioca reminded me of my wonderful mother back in Singapore.

My mum used to steam the Tapioca till they turned soft,  cut the Tapioca into small pieces to go with white fine sugar. That was just yummy!

However, I would like to try Thai Steamed Tapioca with Coconut milk as I have some coconut milk in the fridge. I do not have the recipe for Thai Style of Steamed Tapioca but decided to give it a try as it should be quite simple.The Tapioca and Pandan Leaves that I brought in Auckland were all frozen so I have to thaw it by removing the amount I need. It is kind of troublesome but guess it is definately worth the trouble! As for the Coconut milk, I am using the packet coconut milk (Brand-Kara) which can be purchased from Asian Supermarket in Auckland. Guess what..the below recipe was what I was trying to replicate the "soft steamed tapioca" which I had ate in BKK. After a long search in the internet, I have finally found the recipe I wanted. It was called  Thai Candied Cassava/Tapioca (Man Cheuam). Click the link and that maybe what you are looking for too. :) updated 27 Nov 2011.

Ingredients


Ingredients:
Tapioca
Sugar (Do your own estimation as it depend on the amount of Tapioca you are steaming)
2 Pandan Leaves (optional)
Abt 1/4 Cup of Thick Undiluted Coconut Milk
A pinch of Salt



This is how a Tapioca looked like
(Picture extracted from Internet)
Pandan Leaves
(Picture extracted from Internet)














Steaming Tapioca

1. Wash and remove the skin of Tapioca. Cut the tapioca into small pieces (according to your preference).Put the tapioca to steam until it turns soft. Set aside to cool.





Sugar Syrup




2. Put the sugar  and put 1 Pandan Leave into a small pot with a little of water, with a low heat to turn the sugar into syrup. You have to stir regularly to prevent the sugar from sticking to the bottom of the pot. So once all the sugar has melted and becomes  syrup, remove the pot from the heat. Set aside to cool.


Heating up coconut milk
3. In a separate pot, heat up the coconut milk with 1 pandan leaves and a pinch of salt. Do not boil it, merely just heat it up. Remove from heat.







Ready to serve

4. Place the steamed tapioca on a plate, pour the sugar syrup over the tapioca follow by the coconut milk and you are ready to serve and enjoy it!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Where did you find your pandan leaves? I've been looking for those here for ages.

Unknown said...

Hi,
You can find them at Tai Ping Supermarkets if you are in Auckland. They are FROZEN pandan leaves and they are usually located in the freezer at Tai Ping Supermarkets. Hope that helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...