Sunday, December 4, 2011

Roast Chicken with Chinese Five Spices




"Roast Chicken" has been most of Tony's reply when I asked him "What's for dinner?". He loves Roast Chicken and would offer to do the roast, however I don't really like that not because I don't like chicken. It is just that he always  have  chicken cooked with  mixed herbs...it is nothing appetitzing and interesting. When he replied "Roast Chicken", I would either keep mum or I will tell Tony you can have the Roast Chickem and I will get myself something else for dinner. As time goes by, I felt I am being mean to Tony by my action. 

That day, he suggested to have Roast Chicken again I agreed to it. I offered to cook it since he will be at golf. I wanted to do the roast chicken in Chinese/Asian Style. Internet is always the place I looked for help. Original recipe was adapted from here , as usual I will make some modification. The roast chicken was delicious, tender and moist commented by Tony. The sesame oil which I have subsituted brings out the true flavor of Chinese cooking. You will enjoy it if you love Chinese food.  

Shaoxing Hua Tiao

Ingredients:
1.5kg Whole Chicken (I used whole chicken instead chicken parts)
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/8 Cup Seasame Oil (Used seasame oil instead of oil, reduced amount too)
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder 
2 Teaspoons Five Spices Powder
1 Teaspoon Grated Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon Shaoxing Hua Tiao/Chinese Cooking Wine (Instead of Dry Sherry) 

  
1.Combine all ingredients except chicken, and use as marinade. Then, marinate chicken at least an hour, but can marinate overnight in an ovenproof dish. I turned the chicken over to ensure that it is thoroughly marinated.

Chicken Ready to go to the oven.


2. Preheat oven to 175 Degree Celsius and bake for 90mins or till it is cooked. Baste once or twice throughout the cooking process..I also turned the chicken over twice to keep the chicken moist and to absorb the flavor of marinade at the bottom of the ovenproof dish.
 3. Rest the chicken for 5 mins before carving.. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...