Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pandan Creme Caramel-Thai Dessert



After 1.5years of searching in Auckland, I finally found the Pandan Essence at one of the Asian  Groceries stores in Auckland. This store is located in Northcote, near where I work. I frequentl this store very often and whenever I go there I would definitely check out for it at the flavoring section. Everytime I checked, I can't see one there (maybe they have sold out) but yesterday I was in luck and found it. I grabbed it immediately as it ended long search for it. In fact, I have told myself that I must get some back from Singapore when I go home for Chinese New Year next Jan.

I was so thrilled and last night I started to search for some dessert recipes featuring the use of Pandan. The only recipe that I knew using Pandan Essence is Pandan Chiffon Cake which I have baked before. Wanted to try something different using this Pandan Essence. Found this Thai Style Creme Caramel and it sounds good and easy to do as I have most of the ingredients at home except Coconut Milk. I went to get it this morning and started making this dessert the moment I stepped in. I was very happy with the result.

    
Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Pandan essence Or 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/4  Cup (or more) Maple syrup, table syrup, Or your own syrup made with Thai Palm Sugar
Pinch of salt
A little Oil
4 Small Ramekins




1.Preheat oven to 175 C (The website which I adapted the recipe stated 350 degrees, it should be 350 Fahrenheit that they are talking about. Converted to degree is 176 degree but I set at 175 C). Lightly grease 4 ramekins with oil.
2.Beat eggs by hand with a fork or with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Then add the salt, sugar, vanilla OR pandan paste, and coconut milk. Stir until well combined. (If you are using pandan essence/paste, note that it will turn the desset a bright tropical green.)
3.Pour a little syrup into the bottom of each ramekin (enough to cover the bottom)
4.Now pour egg and coconut mixture into each ramekin up to 3/4 full. (Do not stir - syrup will naturally remain at the bottom of the ramekin.)
5.Place ramekins in a large glass baking dish or on a deep-sided roasting pan. Pour some water into the bottom of the baking dish or pan - until water reaches 1/4 way up the side of the ramekin.
 
Ready to go into oven

6.Bake 30 minutes, or until an inserted fork comes out clean. Allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (Note: you can also serve this dessert warm - it's delicious both ways!)
7.To serve, run a knife around the inner rim of each ramekin (to loosen pudding). Overturn the ramekins onto individual dessert plates. The pudding should fall out easily, with the syrup naturally dripping down over the coconut custard.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...