Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweet Potatoes Soup


This is colourful dessert-Bor Bor Cha Cha
 That day while writing my blog on Singapore Hawker Fare, staring at those photographs I took I craved for "Bor Bor Cha Cha". "Bor Bor Cha Cha" is  a Nyonya dessert cook with  coconut milk with sweet potatoes, yam (taro ) and tapioca cubes. This dessert can be served hot or cold. The hardest part of cooking this dessert is the making of tapioca cubes. Nowadays, it has been substituted with tapioca pearls or sago which make it less authentic. At this point, I don't think I have the confident of making this dessert, as I have trouble finding tapioca flour. Tapioca starch is available here in Auckland, however sad to say I am not sure if it is the same as tapioca flour which is for the making of tapioca cubes.


Moving away from the thought of Bor Bor Cha Cha, I decided to make another of my favourite asian dessert-Sweet Potatoes Soup. It is a super simple dessert. Sweet potatoes are readily available in New Zealand. In Asian countries, we called it sweet potatoes, Kiwis called them -Kumara. So they have red kumura, gold kumara and orange kumara.


I picked a red kumara and a gold kumara for my sweet potatoes soup.

Serving for 2 persons
Ingredients:
2 Pandan Leaves(Screw-Pine leaves), cleaned and tie a knot with the leaves
1 Red Kumara,peeled and cut into small cubes
1 Gold Kumara,peeled and cut into small cubes
1 Thick Thumb Sized slice of Ginger, peeled and lightly smashed
Sugar (Amount depend on indivdual preference of sweetness)
800ml of Water 

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add pandan leaves,ginger slice.
2. Bring them to boil at high heat. Put in the kumara and bring it to boil. Add it the sugar.
3. Cover and simmer for about half hour or until the kumara turn soft. Taste the sweetness of the soup and add or reduce depends on one's preference.
4. Remove from heat. Discard pandan leaves and ginger. You may serve it hot or put inside the fridge and serve it cold.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...