Thursday, November 22, 2012

Red Beans Bread (Anpan Bread)




Red beans bread (Anpan Bread) is one of the basic bread which you can find in Singapore's bakeries. I used to buy this bread as my son's breakfast. I don't see it available in New Zealand. Whenever I miss home, I will start to crave for certain food strangely some of the food I craved for were something that I don't usually eat it nor they were my favourite. Guess it is just the sight or the taste of these food bring comfort to me. Since I can't get red bean bread in local bakeries, I need to bake it myself. Recipe was adapted from mamaloli.com and my 1st attempt was a failure; the dough did not rise at all (see the photo on the left,  top picture pale and not puffy at all)

Knowing that the recipe I have adapted was a good recipe and decided to give it a try again. Last attempt the dough did not rise; I knew where the issue was. The yeast was not activated, based on my experience of baking (I am not saying that I am a great baker). On my 2nd attempt, I decided to tweak the step/ingredients alittle. 

2nd attempt was a great success which I was very happy about it! :)


Makes 7 to 8 Breads

Ingredients:
200g All-Purpose Flour (or bread flour)
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Active Instant Yeast
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
80ml Warm Water 
2 Tablespoon Milk Powder (optional)
1 Tablespoon Oil

Filling 
250g Red Bean paste
White Sesame Seeds (optional)


1. Sprinkle in one teaspoon of active instant yeast into the WARM water. Do not stir the yeast. After five minutes the yeast should start to bloom, blossom, grow, foam, froth and bubble.

2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and milk powder (optional) in a separate bowl. Mix well.

3. Add in the yeast mixture, oil and the lightly beaten egg into the flour mixture to form a messy dough. Now knead for 5 to 8 minutes using a Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer with dough hooks or you can put the dough into the bread maker machine, set on “Dough” mode for 5-8mins. Alternatively, you can also knead by hand (it will take a long time), knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, move to a clean oiled bowl. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour (until doubled in size).

4. Split the dough to 7 to 8 pieces (about 50g each). Roll each into a smooth ball. Cover and let it rise for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Roll the red bean paste into a ball (about a tablespoon in size). Now take the dough and flatten it (not too much). Add the red bean paste and wrap the dough around it and seal.

6. *This part is optional- Flatten once more.. You can use your thumb to make an indention in the center. then use sharp scissors and make 5 deep cuts around the dough .Sprinkle some seasame seeds onto the indention (optional). Continue with the rest of the dough.
7. Preheat oven to 190C (375F).Now cover and let the buns rise another 30 minutes. You can brush the dough with an egg wash before putting it into the oven to bake. However, I do do not want to waste another egg for this, so I brush it with olive after it is done.

8. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush a little bit of olive oil on the bread after it’s done.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...