Saturday, July 30, 2011

Rock Cakes

 
With boring varieties available at Auckland's bakeries store, Rock Cake is the only item I would get. It is Saturday today, I have nothing much on hand since Tony will be at golf. I went down to the Supermarket and grabbed all the ingredients necessary for this cake.  Recipe adapted from NZ Womans Weekly however I did some slight modication.

2 Cups standard flour
115g Butter
3/4 Cup sugar (Original Recipe called for 1 Cup, I don't like it to be too sweet)
2 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Cup Sultanas (Raisins)
1/4 cup Glace mixed peel
2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk (Why the extra Yolk? I did an Egg White Face Mask so I do not want to throw away I added it in)
Milk for mixing (if required) I used about 3 Tablespoon Milk.

1. Preheat the oven to 240C. Grease 2 baking trays.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour in small pieces and rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (This can also be achieved in a food processor, using the pulse button.)
 
 
3. Add the sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, sultanas and peel. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. If the batter is too dry, add one tablespoon of milk at a time to bind into a stiff mixture.
4. Place blobs of mixture in small rough heaps on the cold prepared baking trays, allowing room for expansion. Bake for about 15 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through cooking, until the cakes are golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack. The cakes will keep in an airtight container for up to a week!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...