Sunday, July 25, 2010

1st Winter In Auckland

Sky Tower
On 11 April 2010, I left my job in Singapore as well as left my son in the care of my wonderful mum, sisters and brother to come over to Auckland to start a new life with Tony. One of the biggest challenges is to cope with her Weather.

New Zealand is an island country in the south-western Pacific Ocean so she has the reverse seasons from countires that are situated at the north part of the globe. New Zealand comprising two main landmasses which they called it-the North Island and the South Island, and numerous smaller islands.  The far north has subtropical weather during summer, and inland alpine areas of the South Island can be as cold as -10 °C in winter, most of the country lies close to the coast, which means mild temperatures, moderate rainfall, and abundant sunshine. Because New Zealand lies in the Southern Hemisphere, the average temperature decreases as you travel south.

Auckland is situated in the North Island and the north of New Zealand is subtropical and the south temperate. The warmest months are December, January and February, and the coldest June, July and August.

Spring - September, October, November I arrived in Auckland on 12 April 2010 which was their Mid Autumn (Apr to June), the weather was cold to me and it was between 10 to 20°C. The temperature can drop 5 or more degrees in 2hours. For someone like me, who is born in Singapore with a tropical climate which temperature remains (range from 22 to 34 °C) relatively constant throughout the year it was a shock to my body.

Summer - December, January, February
Autumn - March, April, May
Winter - June, July, August
Spring - September, October, November

 
To keep myself warm, I will use the spa which Tony had outside the house at least 3 times a day to bring my body temperature up. The spa was heated up to the temperature of 40°C. At times, I will jump into the spa pool as early as 9am in the morning with the surrounding temperature of below 10 C.




Frost was formed on top of the spa pool cover
According to Tony (who is a Kiwi) said that this year winter has been very cold for him too. The temperature dropped to 0 C one of the morning in July, which frost was formed on top of the spa pool cover.

To cope with the winter, beside jumping into the spa I will have to get warm clothings as well. Tony has been great and has been doing all his best getting me good quality wool coat, leather boots and gloves.


Minne Cooper-Bertile
Yesterday, after the business meeting at Ponsonby Road we passed by a shop called "Minnie Cooper". Her shoes and handbags are deisgned and made in New Zealand. Their design simple and classic, that attracted Tony and I to go into the shop. They have wide range of simple leather boots. Both Tony and I like the design and style of a pair of black ankle boots (Bertile) at the display." Bertile" has the height(in term of heel) and length (ankle boots) in which we have been searching for since I came over in April. At times you just couldn't find the right one you want, but this boots from Minnie Cooper was actually the "dream boots" I wanted. Tony asked if "I love the boots?" Of course, it was love at first sight however I was abit reluntant to say " I love it" as I personally felt that it was too expensive and would never spend that amount of a pair of shoes. Tony felt otherwise as it was made of good quality leather and insisted that I try. The boots were so comfortable but the only setback was the sole, as we have to put anti skid sole due to the wet weather here. In the end, lovely Tony bought it and even bought me to put on an anti skid sole at Mister Minit.

Check it out at Minnie Cooper's Website: http://www.minniecooper.co.nz

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...