Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blueberries Cream Cheese Tarts

I have more than half a tub of cream cheese leftover from cooking Chicken Wellington, do not like the idea of wasting it since Tony will be away for a week for business trip soon. Me, I do not fancy the idea of spreading cream cheese on toast or biscuits, plus my knowledge on the use of cream cheese is limited..had used them for the Japanese Cheesecake and Oreo Cheesecake, and recently learnt to use them on the Chicken Wellington.  I need to find some more cream cheese dessert recipes for me to make use of this leftover tub of cream cheese before it goes to waste. I wantedto make cream cheese tarts, so read a few recipes on the internet. I can't find one that really matches what I have in mind. I decided to go ahead with some experimentation using some of the idea I gathered from internet on cream cheese filling. Surprisely, the end products turned out to be really yummy. I was proud of this achievement, even received compliments from Tony too!    


Make 6 Tarts
Ingredients:
200g Cream Cheese, soften
25g Butter, soften
1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 Punnet of Fresh Blueberries (125g)
1 Shortcrust Pastry Shell, thaw for 10mins, soften it

1.Preheat oven to 175 Degrees Celsius. Grease the muffin pan. Cut 6 pieces of baking paper, about 2cm x 10cm strips. Put across each muffin cup as shown in the pictures. This is for easy removal of the tarts after baking.

2.  Beat cream cheese with a  electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar, butter, egg and vanilla, beating well using low speed as you do not want to create bubbles on the mixture.
3. Place the pastry shell on a lightly floured table. Use a round cutter (I do not have one, I use an egg ring to cut out the dough or you can use a drinking glass, turn it over and cut out the round shape). I wanted the tarts crust to be thin soI employed the technique I learnt from making dumpling to create that thinness of the crust for the tarts.   You may want to click here to watch the video (pay attention to how to roll the dough) to have an idea on how to roll the dough to get the thinness.
Sprinkle the cut round pastry shell with flour on both sides, with a dumpling rolling pin, roll ONLY inwards from the outer edge of each circle to maintain a regular circle. If you roll outwards, the circle will become misshapen. When the pastry shell has been rolled out to about 2mm thick, put the pastry shell into the muffin tray that has been previously lined with baking paper strips.




4. Spoon cream cheese mixture onto the pastry shells. 
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow tarts to cool completely. Put fresh blueberries on top. Chill in the fridge for an hour before serving. 

It was much easier removing the tarts from the muffin tray with the baking strips idea.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...