Thursday, October 20, 2011

Nutella Swissroll

Yes, I finally succeeded in making Nutella Swissroll though it is still far from perfect. In fact, this is my 3rd attempt. My 1st attempt, I baked twice-1st time the base was not cooked and 2nd time I may have overcooked it and it cracked when I rolled it up. Both 2 attempted, I adapted this recipe from happyhomebaking.blogspot.com. I admit I am not a good baker, it has to do with my baking skills and not the recipe. I find it always very hard to fold the flour into the beaten egg white and mix it well. At this process, I may have overwork the batter resulting in alot of bubbles when I poured the batter into the baking tray.

As I am really keen in making Swissroll, decided to use my 1 year baking experience to experiment and try to make this swiss roll a success. The process of baking is more or less the same in my context, so I decided to use the same recipe with some changes. I add some milk (the sponge was dry and cracked as to me it needs to have some mositure) to the recipe, I mixed cake flour with corn flour. But why? The Japanese Cheesecake I baked previously contained a mixture of these 2 flours which seemed gives cake the softness, which may help to give that kind of softness to the swissroll. I used oil instead of butter. Lastly, I separated the eggs and beat it separately. The reason being I usually I had difficult trying to fold in the flour into the mixture and to mix it well, and most of the time I overworked the mixture and resulting in too much air in the mixture or I flatten the mixture completely. With this method of mine, I add in the combined flour into the egg yolk mixture and it is much more easy to mix well. If there is lump, just pass the mixture through the sieve before mixing the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. The end result of my experiment turned out to be good and Tony even commented that it was the best Swissroll he had. Here is my modified version :

Ingredients:
3 Eggs(Room Temperature), separated
20g + 60g Caster Sugar
60g Cake flour
20g Corn Flour
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Oil
100ml of Milk
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

1.Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
2. Line a baking paper on a greased baking pan 9" x 12" (23 x 30cm) .Sift cake flour and corn flour together and set aside.
3. Add 20g of sugar, oil, milk and vanilla to the eggs yolk, whisk it till smooth and creamy not bubbly.
4. Add in the flour mixture into the yolk mixture slowly, ensuring that it is mix well without any lumps. If there is lump, pass through the mixture through a sieve. Set aside.
5. Whisk egg whites with 60g of sugar, beat until stiff peaks form.
6. Fold in egg whites to egg yolks mixture gently, 1/3 portion at a time. Mix well.
7.Pour the batter in the lined baking tray and level it. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Cover with baking paper, then a damp tea towel. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
9. Upon cooling, remove the tea towl and the baking paper on the top, and turn the sponge onto another a sheet of clean baking paper. Trim the edges, spread with nutella (or any filling as desired) and roll up the sponge by lifting it up with the baking paper. Place the rolled cake seam side down. For Best result, keep roll in fridge before cutting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...