Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Japanese Cheese Cake



Last week, I tried baking an Oreo Cheesecake and it turned out very successful so yesterday I decided to bake a Japanese Cheesecake, this is the type of cheesecake that I love to eat when I was in Singapore. This Japanese Cheesecake is cotton soft that explained why I love it so much. I scoured the internet as usual and found this recipe from Diana Desserts. The recipe was adapted  from there www.dianasdesserts.com. The photos were from me.  


I had a hard time trying to find the cake flour, after searching out at three groceries store, finally I found it at the fourth groceries store. I was determined to find it yesterday as I wanted to bake it for Tony, he will be back for the weekends before flying to Cairns next week. He has been away most of the times in month of March doing his 2011/2012 Swimwear Collection. I was very satisfied and happy with the result of my first attempt on this Japanese Cheesecake as it turned out to be moist and really soft on the inside though I commited some mistakes- Did not grease the pan before line the baking paper and I used room temperature water for waterbath instead of HOT boiling water. That explained why I urged anyone who wish to bake this cake to read the Diana's baking tips for Cheesecake so as to know what to expect in the process. Click here  for baking tips on cheesecakes by Diana

Happy Baking !
 
Ingredients:
140g Of Fine granulated sugar
6 Egg whites
6 Egg yolks
1/4 Teaspoon Of Cream of Tartar
50g Of Butter
250g Of Cream cheese
100 ml Fresh milk
1 Tablespoon Of Lemon juice
60g Cake flour /superfine flour
20g Cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 Teaspoon  salt








1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well. Diana's recipe did not mention when to add the salt, so I added in into the cake flour and mixed it. 

Make shift Boiler
2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until SOFT peaks form.
 
**If you're using electric beaters, turn off the beaters, leaving them in the egg whites. slowly lift them out of the batter. If the peaks bend over a little bit, that's called SOFT peaks, because they stay as peaks, but they still move. HARD peaks is where they would stay pointed straight up.
3. Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper).





4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath (HOT Boiling Water) for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F).

* Waterbath- Have a bigger baking tray filled with hot boiling water, put a wirerack on top of it before putting the baking pan with cheesecake mixture.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...