Sunday, October 31, 2010

Char Siew Pie (Chinese Roast Pork or Barbequed Pork)叉烧


Being an amateur cook, albeit I got most of the recipes either the websites or cookbooks, at times I do modified, adjusted or re-created to suit my own taste/style. To me, cooking is more about experimenting the SIMPLE ingredients that readily available, to suit your own taste bud. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules when individual's taste is concerned. 
Friday's night after watching the Finale of New Zealand Next Top Model Finale and X Factor's result, my mood was  affected as my favourites did not make it for both programs.......couldn't get to sleep at that point I just craved for Char Siew Bao especially Singapore's Tiong Bahru Char Siew Bao, felt that it will make me feel better if I get to eat it. Knowing it is mission impossible unless I flew back to Singapore. With my mobile phone at the sidetable, I started to search the internet for Char Siew Bao recipe. Came across Rasamalaysia recipe for Char Siew Bao, the recipe used Char Siew that was bought in store which suited me as I dont know how to make Char Siew from scratch. At the same time, I was not confident in make the dough for the "bao" as I know that it is never easy to make bao soft and fluffy just like those served in Dim Sum Restaurant, I decided make use of my pie maker machine to create a Char Siew Filling Pie. Extracted the recipe of the Char Siew Filling  from  here.

Ingredients:
250g Char Siew, Diced (Bought from Chinese Roast Store)
½ Teaspoon Of Cooking oil
1 Teaspooon Of Sugar
1 Small onion, Diced
1 Teaspoon Of Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon Of Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Of Sesame oil

150 ml water
1½ Teaspoon Of  Corn Flour
Salt to taste

1. Heat oil in pan, sautee onion for 1 to 2 minutes. Add in all other ingredients A, stir fry for 1 minutes.
2. Mix together water with corn flour, add mixture into the pan and stir well. Simmer until gravy is thickened.
3. Transfer to plate and allow to cool.
4. Spoon the Char Siew Filling into the pie pastries and make pies according to the pie maker's instructions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...