Monday, August 16, 2010

Comfort Food - My Style of Hainanese Chicken Rice

Last night after talking to my mum and son,  I became very sad and moody as I really miss them and I have to control my emotional too. Just feel like crying aloud. Tony asked me about happened, I don't want to share with him that I really miss home  as he will feel bad too. The other night just before he fall asleep, he said  "Thank You" to me for making all the sacrifices to come over here to Auckland as he knows that it is never easy to do so  he appreciates what I did. I felt very very sad that night...in the dark my eyes were filled with tears after what he said. Somehow I can sense that he is feeling sad for me too. Nowadays, whenever I miss home I will just remain very very quiet throughout the day...it is the best way to control my emotional and not to affect Tony as well. Whenever I miss home, I will cook some comfort food to ease that home-sick.


Hainanese Chicken Rice
(Picture adapted from Foodtrotter.com)

Everyone in my family loves my mum's version of Hainanese Chicken Rice and Chicken Rice is my son's BEST friend. If you don't know what to get him for his meal, just buy Chicken Rice.
So this is going to be tonight's comfort food.


This is the typical Hainanese Chicken Rice which we can get it everywhere in Singapore Foodcourt or Kopitiam or Coffeeshops.




What I am going to cook today will be Hainanese Chicken Rice without the Boiled Chicken as I do not know how to cook it....actually without the boiled chicken you can't prepared the rice too as the rice has to be cooked with the stock of the boiled chicken. However,  I managed to find the Hainanese Chicken Rice Paste in D.H Supermarket in Auckland, with that I am able to cook the Hainanese Chicken rice as for the boiled chicken  it will be substituted with Five Spices Fried (D.H Supermarket in Auckland) Chicken Wings.








Ingredients:

Serves 2
500g of Chicken Wings, separated them. 
Prima Taste Hainanese Chicken Rice Paste (From Asian groceries supermarket)
2 Cups of Rice
2 Pandan Leaves (optional)
Seah's Spices - Five Spice Fried Chicken Spices (From Asian groceries supermarket)4 Tablespoon of Cornflour for coating of the Chicken Wings
Cooking Oil for deep-frying


1. Clean the Chicken Wings, marinate with 3/4 packet of the Five Spices (1pkt is for 1kg of Chicken). Marinate for 1hr or more in the fridge.

2. Wash the rice and pour the rice into the rice cooker together with the Hainanese Chicken Rice paste. Add water to the level according to the rice cooker indicator inside the pot. Stir and mix the paste well with the water. Put in the pandan leaves (optional) and set the rice cooker to "Cook".

3. Heat 1/2 litre of oil on wok/pan for deep frying of chicken wings or set the deep fryer to 170C.

4. Coat the chicken wings with 4 Tablespoon of Cornflour and mix them well. Cornflour will make the chicken crispier.

5. Once the oil is hot enough, put the chicken wings to fry. Then lower the heat, else the chicken will be golden brown outside but not cooked thoroughly inside. Slowly deep fry for about 5 mins (also depends on how big the portion of wings are).

6. Once the chicken wings are cooked, remove them from the heat and put them on a plate lays with kitchen roll to absorb any excessive oil.

7. Serve the fried chicken wings with the Hainanese Chicken Rice. You may cook some greens to go with it. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...