Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thai Candied Cassava/Tapioca (Man Cheuam)

The thought of this dessert just make me salivating...just love it. I am a great fan of Thai Food, I also enjoy the spiciness of Thai food. Last year, I posted a blog on Steamed Tapioca with coconut milk which I was actually trying to replicate this dessert after I failed to find the recipe on the internet. Few days back, while watching one of the cooking program the chef mentioned Tapioca and it stirred up my craving for this dessert. Immediately I scoured the internet hoping that I will find one this time. SI came acrossed post on Thai Candied Cassava- Cassava is another term for tapioca..I decided to read more about it and realized that this thai candied cassava was actually what I have been looking for all this while. I was thrilled and told myself I must definitely try cooking it.

Recipe adapted from here. 

I have reduce the portion by half from the original recipe.

Serving: 2-3

Ingredients:
500g Cassava Root (which is also called Tapioca)
3/4 Cup sugar (I also reduced the sugar from 1 1/4 Cup to 3/4 Cup as I can't take Thai's sweetness in most of their dessert)
2 Cups water

The below are optional. You have top the candied cassava with coconut cream if you prefer.
1/2 Cup Coconut cream
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

1. Mix sugar with water in a sauce pan, heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Peel the cassava and chop it into 4cm pieces.
3. Add the cassava into the pan with boiling sugar and cook on a low heat until the sugar just begins to caramelize. The cassava will have a glazed look and the flesh will be clear and absorb most of the syrup. Approximately 2 hours. I turn the cassava twice through the whole cooking process to ensure they are properly caramelized. You will need to turn it gently else the cassava will break.
4. If the cassava has not been properly candied, add more water and continue cooking.
5. (Optional) Mix the coconut cream and salt together, bring to the boil, then remove from the heat. Serve the candied-cassava and spoon the salted coconut cream on the top.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...