Friday, July 1, 2011

Chop Your Own Chicken = Cost Saving in NZ



Before

Today, I managed to chop up 2 whole chickens, thank you to Masterchef Australia that showed contestants and TV audiences how to do that else I am totally clueless on where to start on how to chop up the enitre chicken. This is the 1st time in my entire life. At times, certain recipes call for a whole chopped chicken if I don't know how to chop up a chicken that is no way I am going to cook that dish. I am really glad that I learnt the technique from Masterchef Australia....it does pay off watching cooking TV programmes.



After
 




While chopping the chicken, I realised that it was in fact cheaper to buy a whole chicken chopped it up yourself than buying different cut from the supermarket here in New Zealand. Food prices are extremely high here. I have just worked out my sum.

One Whole Chicken cost between $10-$16 (depending on the size/brand), which gives you 2 wings, 2 drums, 2 thighs and 1 breast.


 







If you purchase it separately,
2 Wings cost $2-$2.50
2 Drums cost $3-$3.50
2 Thighs cost $4-$5
1 Whole Breast cost $8-$10 (which is the most expensive cut)
Carcass cost $2-$3 (A guess as I never buy that before)
Total Cost: $19-$24

Saving between $8-$9.00 per chicken

Today, I got a good deal at Countdown Supermarket 2 whole chickens for $16. What a saving! :) 2 Chickens = 4 meals for 2 adults.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...