Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chocolate Mousse


Making Chocolate Mousse was not as easy as I thought, the part that I find it most difficult was the ingredient-Whipping Cream/Cream. I was very confused with this term. I adapted a recipe which stated Easy Chocolate Mousse, however one of the ingredient stated " 1 1/4 Cup Whipping Cream, whipped". I have never worked with whipping cream or any sort of cream before, except those whipped cream in a aerosol bottle. I am sure that that recipe of chocolate mousse did not called for "whipped cream in aerosol bottle".  I did a search of internet, got the understanding that the term "whipping cream" is result from from whipping up "cream". I told Tony to get a bottle of cream, thinking that that would be simple and solve everything. However, I overbeat the cream (with an electric beater)and it turned out to be like butter and has to be discarded. So I did a second batch with hand whisk, turned out to be good but when I added into the chocolate mixture. It did not looked like mousse to me. I showed my product to Tony, he told me that there were 2 different type of creams in the supermarket-Pure Cream, Thickened Cream and Cream, he was not sure of what I want, he got me a Pure Cream (in fact I was not sure what the difference in them too).

That night, I went to the internet to find some answers on this cream difference, I realised I got more confused..there are so many types of creams available and different countries use different terms. Click here if you would like to know more about types of creams (in America context) or from Wikipedia. In the end, I think the best way to make a chocolate mousse is to stick to a recipe in the country you are in as ingredients will be stated based on the correct term. As I am determined to make a successful chocolate mousse since I have some chocolate leftover. I managed to find a recipe in kidspot.co.nz, which is in  NZ's context;  which makes buying the key ingredient simpler. This recipe called for "Cream", I went down to the supermarket and found "Cream". No hassles at all.

Recipe adapted from here. I love this recipe, it is simple and straight forward.

Ingredients:
200g Good Quality Dark Chocolate
50g Butter
4 Eggs, separated
1 Cup (250ml) Cream
2 Tablespoons Caster Sugar


1.Melt chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl over a simmering saucepan of water.
Or in the microwave. Stir until all melted and smooth. Set aside.
2.Whip the cream until soft peaks form. (It means to beat the cream until when you pull the beaters out of the cream it makes a little curved peak...like a little point at the top.)

 
3.In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form (similar definition of Cream soft peaks-Refer to above in Turqoise), then sprinkle on caster sugar and whisk until mixture is thick and sugar has dissolved.
 
Thick and glossy of "Eggs White"
4.Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then fold through the cream and then the whipped egg whites.
5.Spoon into one large glass bowl, or individual small bowls, cups or glasses!
6.Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...