Thursday, July 21, 2011

Durian 榴梿

Durian for mum
Durian…the moment I think of durian, saliva starts to ooze out…. Oh no, that is gross! Durian is a fruit that you either love it or hate it. Durian has a very unique odour, the unusual aroma can be smelled from far.  For those who hate it, will describe the odour like “shit”, “smelly socks”, “sewage” or “stale vomit” etc. Because of that,   a lot of places like airports, hotels and public transportation banned you from bringing durian. The odour can linger in the mouth for at least a day even you after you washed it with mouth wash. So kiss kiss is no-no if your partner does not like durian.
Picture taken from
 http://durianmedan.com/

This thorny fruit,  aka the King of Fruit is my favourite. It is a seasonal fruit, though it is my favouite..I do not get to eat it frequently when I lived in Singapore. Why? In Singapore, durian is not permitted in the local transport system due to the strong odour, unless you have your own transport to transport it back. As I do not own one so that explained why I don't get to eat it as often as I like. During my last trip home in June, my sister knew that my mum loves durian so bought it and have some brought over to my place as we are staying a block away. Mum used to tell us that during her younger days, she would eat have durian to go with rice. Mum is born in Malaysia and durians were available everywhere in Malaysia during the durian's season and it was always very cheap when there was an abundant of supply. Sometimes, the orcharders had to discard it away. Mum decided to give it a miss, she was worried about her cholesterol level and also during then she was having a cough. My son and brother also do not want to have it so all the durians went into my stomach. Hehehe...

In fact, besides the fresh durian I also like Vacuum Freeze Dried Durian from Thailand. I love to travel to Bangkok, used to visit Bangkok 2-3times a year when I was residing in Singapore. The flight is cheap, the journey is about 2hours and with the strong Singapore Dollar, it is one of the popular destination for Singaporeans. I chanced upon this Freeze Dried Durian during one of my trip there, the taste is as good as the fresh one. You do not have to worry about the transportation of this fruit at all. So since then, I will always buy at least a dozen packets from Bangkok back to SIngapore. My ex-colleague (which I call her my meimei-sister in chinese) happened to be going back to Bangkok, her hometown a week before my return to Singapore. I have asked her a favour to buy me a few packets and I will pick it up from her when I meet her back in Singapore.  She was lovely, got me 4 packets from Bangkok. Thank you, Meime!

My last trip home was very satisfyinng especially for my  appetite- Fresh Durian and Vacuum Freeze Dried Durian. For people who had never eaten durian should give it a try-Outcome will be either you love it or hate it! :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...