Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Steamed Red Bean Buns豆沙包

Using Plain Flour
Using Low Gluten Flour




















Steamed Red Bean Bun (Tau Sar Bao) is something that I used to buy it for my son to have it as breakfast before he goes to school. Other than those times, I would not really buy steamed red paste bun for meals. It is easily available all day in coffeshops/foodcourts back in Singapore. Since there is so much selection of food choices in Singapore back then so this red bean bun has never in my "must eat list" or in my "craving list". Things changed, I started to crave for a lot food that I eat occasionally/or don't even have it when I had the chance in Singapore. Things changed since I came over as I started to crave these food maybe they are just comfort food to ease my home sick.  I went online to search for recipe. I have made this Steamed Red Paste Buns for 3rd time but each time using different type of flour, I realised that the type of flour affected the texture of how the buns turned out. 

The recipe called for Hong Kong Flour which I can't find it here in Auckland after trying to search in vain. So  1st attempt I used "Vietnamese Pau Flour", however the texture of the buns turned out to be coarse not as light as fluffy I would like it to be. Not very happy with that, I went on internet to read some articles on flours and realised that the protein, gluten, added agents and differences in processing all contribute to deciding which flour is needed to achieve success in the baking. All these while, I had this belief that High Grade Flour meant High Quality Flour and would use this flour for all my baking, not knowing the real meaning of that. High Grade flour has high protein content and makes a stronger dough and suitable for bread and general baking. Now, I do have a better understanding of type of flour. If you would like to find out more, you are click these 2 links- Understanding of Flour and difference between Baking Flour and Plain Flour.

Out of curosity, on my 2nd attempt I decided to use plain flour (after reading the comments from the recipe source that you can use plain flour too). Final product, as you can see in the photo above(left) the buns were  coarse on the texture. On 3rd attempt, I decided to use Low Gluten Flour instead, finally the final product turned out to be lighter and finer in term of texture. It was just the way I wanted my steamed buns to be just like the buns you get in Singapore (in term texture). If you don't mind the texture, you can use plain flour. The best flour to use for this recipe would definitely be HONG KONG Flour but if you can't find it, I guess the next best flour to use would be low gluten flour.  


Low Gluten Flour
Ingredients for Dough
(Dough recipe was adapted from auntyyochana.blogspot)
300g Hong Kong flour/Low Gluten flour/Fine flour/Cake Flour/All-purpose Flour/Plain flour.
60 g Castor Sugar
2 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
2 Teaspoon **Double-action Baking Powder -See below in Pink for substitute.
35 g Shortening/VegetableOil
120 ml. water
250g Red Bean Paste

Red Bean Paste

( For 2 teaspoon of Double-Action Baking Powder, you can substitute with ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda,1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar and ½ Teaspoon Cornstarch  if you can't find Double action Baking powder)

**Double-action baking powder releases 1/3 of the carbon dioxide at room temperature and the rest during baking or steaming. This helps the powto be fluffy cos it expands during steaming.









1. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add yeast, caster sugar and mix well (else the bun will have brown spots after steaming)
2. Mix the oil into the water. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add in water and oil mixture in to form a dough. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough until it becomes smooth (about 5-10 mins).
3. Roll dough into a smooth round, place in a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it proof for about 1 hr or until it doubles in bulk.
4. Punch down the dough and give a few light kneading to release the trapped air bubbles. Divide the dough into 12 equal. Roll each portion into a smooth round.
5. Flatten each dough into a small disc a rolling pin, make the edges thinner and the centre portion thicker. Wrap each dough with 20g of red bean paste. Pinch and seal the seams. Place dough seam side down on a square piece of parchment paper. Cover loosely with cling wrap and leave buns to proof for 30 mins.
6.Place buns in a steamer and space them apart. Steam at high heat for 12mins (make sure the water is already boiling before steaming). You can put some vingear into the boiling water, it helps to remove the smell of yeast in buns as well as it helps to whiten the buns. When ready, remove the lid carefully to prevent water from dripping over the buns. Or you put a cloth under the lid when steaming, to absorb the steam water. Remove immediately and serve warm. Keep any leftovers in fridge (covered with cling wrap or store in airtight containers) and re-steam till hot before serving. You can reheat up in the microwave for 2mins, putting a glass of water together with the buns to preventing the buns from drying up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...